Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Reincarnation - Do You Believe?

Detective Ryan O'Clery has always had dreams of a beautiful woman. But unlike dreams in which the person may not appear in detail or certain characteristics change over time, his never did. It wasn't until he discovered a journal kept by an ancestor who lived centuries earlier and half a world away that he realized his dreams were actually the other man's memories.

In this scene in The Tempest Murders, Ryan is having a conversation with his sister Claire soon after he meets the woman he has been dreaming about since he was a small boy. He knew immediately that she was his soul mate; she looked identical to his dreams - and the memory of who she was in 1839 Ireland.



Claire cocked her head to study him. “I had a funny feeling you were needing me today.”
“Did you now?”
She didn’t answer but continued to study him. Her eyes were astute and after a minute, he stepped around the island and pulled her to him. He closed his eyes and held her, resting his chin on the top of her head.
“You’ve always known when I needed you.”
“Aye, Re. We’re joined together, you and I.” They stood for a moment in silence before she pulled away. “Are you sad on account of the divorce? It’s only natural, you know—”
“It isn’t that.”
“Well, what is it then?”
He could have gone to his grave with his secret inside him, had she not already known he was troubled. And she always knew. She’d known since she was six years old and he’d never been able to keep anything from her. “You remember the dreams I’ve always had?”
She cocked her head again. When she looked at him, she didn’t blink, as if she was totally focused on every word. “Aye.”
“They’ve become more frequent.”
“It’s only natural, Re, for you to dream about the perfect soul mate when your marriage has just dissolved.”
“She’s real, Claire. And she’s here.”
“What are you saying?”
He gestured toward the back yard. “It happened yesterday. I was cooking outside there. And right before I put the meat on the grill, she just stepped through the hedges there.”
“She just materialized in your own back yard.”
“Aye. Right there between’st the gardenias and the patio.”
“Re.”
“I know it sounds unbelievable—”
“It sounds insane.”
“But I swear it’s the truth.”
“You weren’t hallucinating.”
“Have you ever known me to hallucinate?”
“No. I haven’t.”
“There you have it.”
“There’s a first time for everything.”
“My first time to hallucinate hasn’t happened yet.”
She shifted her weight from one hip to the other, her eyes still focused on his. “And what did you do there, after she materialized in your own back yard?”
“We had dinner.”
She raised one brow.
“She’s the woman I’ve dreamed about, all these years. She even had the dragonfly tattoo on her ankle. Of course, in my dreams, it was always a birthmark, but—”
“Lots of women have dragonfly tattoos on their ankles.”
He combed his hair with his fingers but the locks fell back onto his forehead immediately. “It happened so fast. And it felt so right. I’ve always had this feeling, like I had a twin in the womb with me. And somehow, coming into the world, that twin was lost. I’ve always lived with this emptiness, as if someone ought to be there who isn’t.”
“I know you have, Re. I’ve always known you have.”
“When she was here, when we were together, it—it was as though I’d found my twin. The other part of myself. She made me whole somehow.”
“Your twin soul.”
“She is my twin soul, Claire. I know we’ve been together before. I know we have.”




Is reincarnation possible? It is a question that Ryan struggles with. A staunch Irish Catholic, he's been raised to believe in one life followed by heaven or hell. Now he must come to terms with the very real possibility that he has known this woman in another life - and that it may end in murder, just as it did nearly two hundred years earlier.

The Tempest Murders is available in all fine book stores, retailers and online. It is a finalist in the 2013 USA Best Book Awards and a 2014 International Book Awards nominee. You can find it on Kindle by following this link, in trade paperback on amazon here, and for all other eBooks formats you can follow this link. It is also available in the iBooks store and on Nook.