Wednesday, September 19, 2012

September - A Time of New Beginnings

I have always loved the month of September.

When I was young, I thoroughly disliked summer. They were too hot, too long and too boring. I wanted the excitement of school, of cooler air, of ball games and cheerleaders and school bands. I wanted evenings catching fireflies, smelling the flowers that bloomed in the autumn and riding my bicycle around town.

I loved going to school and reading history, literature, social studies; even math excited me. I wanted to learn everything I could.

Each September I feel that same excitement. As the air gets cooler and the days get shorter, as the leaves begin to turn to crimson and gold, as the grass slows its growth and birds prepare for their journeys south, I feel the same lump in my throat, the same catch in my belly, the same feeling that something exciting is about to happen.

What is your favorite month and why?